    SubjectRe: CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES regressions
    Martin Steigerwald wrote:
    > I don't believe that Microsoft is still providing updates for Win98. But I
    > think Windows 2000 might still be in use

    Definitely. The mail server belonging to a company that pays me for
    embedded Linux work runs on Windows 2000. I moved it to a virtual
    machine about 1 year ago - it's still in use.

    > - I for example have a Win 2000
    > installation on my ThinkPad T23, although I didn't boot it for about a
    > year or so. Has it been tested against Windows 2000? I digged for the mail
    > where you said something about against which Windows versions you tested,
    > but I didn't find it anymore.

    Heh. I still use Windows 95 and Windows 98 occasionally. I'm a bit
    disappointed to find Samba no longer tests against them :-)

    I wouldn't be surprised if Windows ME has fewer users than 98. 98 had
    a reputation for being the best of the non-NT series.

    > > When the vendor of an operating system doesn't even bother to display
    > > a clean "sorry, you don't get updates any more" page for their OS then
    > > I think it is safe to say that the operating system is dead and
    > > buried.
    >
    > It is safe to say much. But still users might not behave according to your
    > saying or might even not be able to. A potential customer asked us to
    > migrate a Windows 98 installation into a virtual machine, cause the
    > software that is running there would not run with any newer version of
    > Windows. Sometimes people are locked / forced to a specific Windows (or
    > Linux) version at least is they do not want to pay lots of $$$ to replace
    > their proprietary special hardware + software combination by something
    > which is supported on a newer version of an operating system. And for a
    > coincidence I think digital photos have been involved in that use case.

    I think you've described commercial ancient Windows users.

    But I suspect there are more non-commercial users - that ancient PC
    someone has in their home which is good enough at running Word 2 for
    _their_ word processing needs. You know the sort of thing: ancient
    14-inch CRT still going strong, friend probably replaced the disk 5
    years ago and cloned the original working OS, fan's getting a bit
    noisy but the old clunker isn't worth replacing just yet.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2009-07-08 15:57    [W:0.022 / U:62.712 seconds]