    SubjectRe: [rfc][patch 3/4] fs: new truncate sequence
    On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 08:32:25AM +0200, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > Thanks for the patch, I think I will fold it in to the series. I
    > think we probably do need to call simple_setsize in inode_setattr
    > though (unless you propose to eventually convert every filesystem
    > to define a .setattr). This would also require eg. your ext2
    > conversion to strip ATTR_SIZE before passing through to inode_setattr.

    Yes, we should eventually make .setattr mandatory. Doing a default
    action when a method lacks tends to cause more issues than it solves.

    I'm happy to help in doing that part of the conversion (and also other
    bits)

    > > int ext2_setattr(struct dentry *dentry, struct iattr *iattr)
    > > {
    > > struct inode *inode = dentry->d_inode;
    > > int error;
    > >
    > > + if (iattr->ia_valid & ATTR_SIZE) {
    > > + error = ext2_setsize(inode, iattr->ia_size);
    > > + if (error)
    > > + return error;
    > > + }
    > > +
    > > error = inode_change_ok(inode, iattr);
    > > if (error)
    > > return error;
    >
    > Probably want to call inode_change_ok first here.

    Right now I tried to no reorder anything versus the previous patch.

    But yes, we should do all the checks first. Possibly we can even add
    a call to inode_newsize_ok to inode_change_ok, but I'd like to defer
    that until all conversions are done and we can easily audit it.

      Last update: 2009-07-08 12:51    [W:0.045 / U:0.120 seconds]