SubjectRe: drm:radeon_cp_idle/reset error storm, console lockup (-rc4 git)
Hi,

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 07:21:59PM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> > I'm throwing an uneducated guess that this log means that there's some locking-up drm inconsistency
> > during server crash shutdown (subsystem shutdown order violation?)
> > which is rendering my entire machine useless, including blocking tty access.
>
> Pretty much X dies, tries to get the GPU driver to go back to text
> mode, this re-enters somewhere
> holding the drm lock and the GPU dies. Pretty much sums up the whole
> problem with graphics card
> drivers on Linux, I can't say how we can fix that apart from if you
> could gdb the X server and we
> can fix the actual crash so we can avoid the issue.

"avoid the issue"... "in _this_ particular problem case", you wanted to say
(picture Sisyphos :).

Ah, darn, I should have kept X running for some longer, or rather
directly presented gdb stuff such as backtrace, local environment etc.
I will handle this in a more flexible manner next time, however.

> The real fix for this sort of issues is called kernel modesetting.

...and I was almost ready to migrate to it already. ;)
Now strongly pondering whether I should.

> Dave.

Thank you for the fast reply!

Andreas Mohr

  Last update: 2009-07-30 11:39    [W:0.058 / U:0.236 seconds]