    SubjectRe: fanotify - overall design before I start sending patches

    On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 10:44:01PM +0100, Jamie Lokier ( wrote:
    > > No, I will NOT EVER pass a pathname. Period. End of story. I stated
    > > the if userspace wants to deal with pathnames (and they understand the
    > > system setup well enough to know if pathnames even make sense to them)
    > > they can use readlink(2) on /proc/self/fd
    > That makes sense.
    > In most cases where events trigger userspace cache or index updates,
    > userspace already has enough information to calculate the path (and
    > any derived data) from the inode number (in the case of non-hard-link
    > files) or from the inode number of the parent directory and the name
    > (not full path).

    Except that rlimits may forbid to open new file descriptor while queue
    length is enough to put another event with the full or partial path

    I will read initial mail next, but if it is not described there, how
    rlimit problem is handled?

    Evgeniy Polyakov

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-07-27 19:55    [W:0.038 / U:0.004 seconds]