SubjectRe: Should I use kmap or kmap_atomic to map user pages that will be written in a loop ?
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 23:41:47 +0200
Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@skynet.be> wrote:

> Pages will be written to from the kernel in USB interrupt context. I can then
> either kmap_atomic() pages before copying data and kunmap_atomic() them right
> after, or kmap() them once at the beginning of the video stream and keep them
> mapped until the end.

Video buffers can be big, and the streaming interface requires at least
two of them. That's a lot of kmap'd pages. It seems to me that
kmap_atomic() is the way to go for something like this.

But, then, these are user-space buffers, and you're seemingly buffering
the data through kernel space buffers first? It seems like using
copy_to_user() in a workqueue (or a threaded interrupt handler) might be
a more straightforward way to go, unless I'm missing something.

jon

  Last update: 2009-07-26 23:31    [W:0.056 / U:0.864 seconds]