SubjectSecuring a system with limits.conf
I'm not sure if this is off-topic for linux-kernel but here it goes...

After doing some research (Googling, checking Hardening Linux, Essential
System Administration and a number of other books) I was quite shocked
that configuring the limits doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.
Sure, they all list the information that can be acquired by ulimit -a or
man limits.conf but those oneliner descriptions of options fail to describe:

- What does the setting actually limit (one can find what the data
segment or a core file is by Googling but it would be nicer if the
documentation listed the security implications of each setting).

- What is the scope of the limit: per-user, per-process, all descendants
of the current process, ...?

- How should things be configured to reliably prevent non-priveleged
users from DoS'ing a machine.

Is there possibly some documentation that I have not found or is there
actually a huge gap in the essential security documentation here?

Thanks.

  Last update: 2009-07-26 06:13    [W:0.037 / U:0.804 seconds]