    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.27.28

    Hi,

    first of all: thank you for the stable kernels...

    On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Greg KH wrote:
    > On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 01:49:53AM +0200, Éric Piel wrote:
    >> Currently, there is no clue on www.kernel.org that 2.6.27 is a "long
    >> term stable" kernel tree. Would it be possible to add a line to the page
    >> pointing to the latest version of this type of tree? I'm sure some
    >> people would love discovering that such thing exists :-)
    >
    > I'm curious as to why someone, if they were inclined to be using such a
    > thing, wouldn't already know about this?

    It even isn't called at linux-kernel-announce, except the latest stable
    kernel.
    So you have to read LKML, or follow the lwn.net news to track the
    older stable kernel. Or always guessing: when there is a release of the
    newer stable kernel (this is announced in linux-kernel-announce) then
    there might be a release of the older one aswell...

    > How many people really are relying on this .27 branch, becides the
    > distros, these days? And if you are, why?

    I'm one of that guys, having a server and one firewall and feeling
    much better with a small optimized own-built kernel for that machines.
    And both just work with this .27 branch, why should I change it to
    2.6.30.y?
    I don't need any of the new features and it won't be faster with 2.6.30 or
    something else...

    Thomas

      Last update: 2009-07-25 09:37    [W:0.026 / U:31.884 seconds]