SubjectRe: Linux

first of all: thank you for the stable kernels...

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 01:49:53AM +0200, Éric Piel wrote:
>> Currently, there is no clue on that 2.6.27 is a "long
>> term stable" kernel tree. Would it be possible to add a line to the page
>> pointing to the latest version of this type of tree? I'm sure some
>> people would love discovering that such thing exists :-)
> I'm curious as to why someone, if they were inclined to be using such a
> thing, wouldn't already know about this?

It even isn't called at linux-kernel-announce, except the latest stable
So you have to read LKML, or follow the news to track the
older stable kernel. Or always guessing: when there is a release of the
newer stable kernel (this is announced in linux-kernel-announce) then
there might be a release of the older one aswell...

> How many people really are relying on this .27 branch, becides the
> distros, these days? And if you are, why?

I'm one of that guys, having a server and one firewall and feeling
much better with a small optimized own-built kernel for that machines.
And both just work with this .27 branch, why should I change it to
I don't need any of the new features and it won't be faster with 2.6.30 or
something else...