SubjectRe: [Regression] kdesu broken

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 17:21:45 +0200
> "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@sisk.pl> wrote:

> > > See the thread starting here: ("possible regression with pty.c commit")
> > > http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/11/125
> >
> > Thanks for the pointer.
> >
> > Well, I thought we were expected to avoid breaking existing user space, even
> > if that were buggy etc.
>
> I don't know where you got that idea from. Avoiding breaking user space
> unneccessarily is good but if its buggy you often can't do anything about
> it.

Alan, he got that idea from me.

We don't do regressions. If user space depended on old behavior, we don't
change behavior.

And regardless of that, I do not think EIO is the right thing to return at
all. If the other side of a pty went away, return 0 and possibly send a
HUP, or whatever. What did we do before?

Linus