    SubjectRe: Threaded interrupts for synaptic touchscreen in HTC dream
    On Wednesday 22 July 2009, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
    > > I do think this should be set up by the driver - the platform/arch code
    > > can't be 100% certain what model of servicing interrupts driver will
    > > chose, nor the driver can know whether arch code set things up for
    > > threaded or classic interrupt handling.
    > >
    > > Since handle_level_oneshot_irq requires drivers to use threaded IRQ
    > > model (in absence of thread interrupt will never be unmasked) it would
    > > be better if we did set it up automatically, right there in
    > > request_threaded_irq(). This would reduce maintenance issues between
    > > platform and driver code.
    > No, it's the wrong way round.
    > The platform code sets up the platform devices. So there is no real
    > good reason that the platform code does not know about the details.

    Except for the "development board" family of exceptions to
    such rules ... or the "Processor-on-Card" model, where the
    same platform/card gets used in a variety of different
    chassis configurations, with different peripherals.

    It may not be possible to know *which* configuration is
    being used at board setup time. However it most certainly
    is known by the time a driver is configuring.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-07-22 19:17    [W:0.021 / U:0.076 seconds]