SubjectRe: Threaded interrupts for synaptic touchscreen in HTC dream
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 04:18:26PM +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>
> > > Also, how important is it that subhandler1..n run in their own thread?
> > > That is, can't we let them run from the thread that is otherwise waiting
> > > for the completino anyway?
>
> > In those cases I suspect we can do that. I guess there can be async
> > handling as well: the main handler queries the pending interrupts,
> > masks them, wakes the handlers and returns. No wait for all threads to
> > finish necessary before unmasking the main interrupt line.
>
> The chips I'm deling with can certainly support doing that but I'm not
> sure there'd be enormous advantages - a lot of the interrupt handlers
> will either be trivial (eg, RTC ticks or alarms) or be serialised by a
> need to interact with the chip anyway. I'd expect this to be generally
> true, though ICBW.

So in your case it would be possible to run the various subdevice
thread_fn handlers from your main interrupt thread one after each
other ?

Well, that indeed makes it a candidate for a nested structure
handling, where your main thread calls handle_nested_irq(irq) which
simply runs the thread function of that nested interrupt while keeping
the semantics vs. disable/enable ... intact.

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2009-07-22 16:55    [W:0.101 / U:0.384 seconds]