    SubjectRe: CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES regressions
    From
    Hi Pavel,

    > Hehe, or we could create just long names and mark filesystem as
    > "needing repair" so that Windows fixes it up for us on next mount ;-).

    Adding short names on the windows side would be a valid patent
    workaround I believe, but I'm not sure that forcing a chkdsk is a very
    useful way to do that. The current windows chkdsk chooses .--N as the
    filename, for integer N. It doesn't base the added short name on the
    long name.

    Paul and I also looked into the option of adding a autorun file of
    some sort when files are written on the Linux side, so that a windows
    tool adds 8.3 names when the media is inserted. It doesn't turn out to
    be very practical however, partly because so many windows systems
    don't have auto-run enabled and it looks like MS is disabling it in
    future versions. This solution also doesn't work for all the other FAT
    devices out there (MP3 players, photo frames etc).

    Cheers, Tridge

      Last update: 2009-07-22 00:41    [W:2.923 / U:0.248 seconds]