SubjectRe: Threaded interrupts for synaptic touchscreen in HTC dream
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 01:49:33PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 06:00:07PM +0530, Trilok Soni wrote:
>
> > Hopefully, this thread can give all details about threaded irq discussion.
>
> > http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/2/27/255
>
> Yes, I'm aware of that - I read it at the time. It seemed to peter out
> without any satisfactory solution, unfortunately. There's two separate
> issues here:
>
> - Ordinary devices on interrupt driven or slow buses like I2C. These
> need something along the lines of request_threaded_irq() that's allows
> them to schedule the main IRQ handler outside hardirq context so
> that they can interact with the device. They need to do something in
> hardirq context to disable the interrupt if it's level triggered but
> most of the time the only option they've got is to disable the IRQ
> and reenable it when the worker thread is done. This is the issue
> here.
>
> My immediate thought when I noticed this was that we should probably
> fix request_threaded_irq() so that it's useful for them; I'd been
> intending to do some digging and try to understand why it is
> currently implemented as it is.
>
> - Multi-function devices like the twl4030 which have an interrupt
> controller on them and would like to expose that interrupt controller
> via the generic IRQ subsystem. This was a large part of the
> discussion in the thread above is a much trickier problem.
>
> I've added the folks from Samsung posting the MELFAS MCS-5000 driver to
> the thread since they're running into the same issue.

Let's also add Thomas and David since I believe they worked on the
feature.

From my part I would like to have the threaded IRQ available to all
drivers since it seens to be hanlding driver shutdown cleanly and
without races which is a big plus for me since very few drivers get it
right.

--
Dmitry

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans