SubjectRe: CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES regressions
From
Hi Jan,

I should also mention that in the first patch I sent back in May, I
added some code that made the 8.3 name problem easier on the user. It
basically forced the shortname= option, overriding the mount option,
when the patch was triggered. The end result was that a name like
dcis3000.jpg would always be stored as a 8.3 name, and thus be visible
to digital cameras, even if the mount options were set to say that
lowercase names should be considered as "long" names.

Hirofumi objected, on the basis that I was overriding the VFAT
mount option. I think that overriding in this case would in fact be
worthwhile, as I don't think many users ever think carefully about
what shortname= option they are using, and unless you get it right
then you can get some real surprises.

Hirofumi-san, do you think that same objection you expressed
previously also applies to this new patch? For example, would you
think it reasonable to modify the patch to store the filename as 8.3
if it can fit in 8.3 in a case mapped manner? Or store as 8.3 if it is
all uppercase or all lowercase?

I think we will hit cases like the one Jan has pointed out where the
exising shortname= options will become even more confusing than they
were already when this new patch is applied, especially as I think
most distros these days magically supply a shortname= option when you
insert some VFAT formatted media.

Cheers, Tridge

  Last update: 2009-07-03 02:17    [W:0.756 / U:0.056 seconds]