    SubjectRe: block2mtd and ubi are initialized too early when compiled in on 2.6.31-rc2

    On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 13:52 +0200, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
    > On 2.6.31-rc2 the block2mtd drivers module_init is called before any
    > block devices have been registered.

    Hmm, ok. Is this because block devices are registered asynchronously?
    Could you please point to the code where it is done, just for reference.

    > Also ubi is initialized pretty early and fails completely if an mtd
    > specified on the command line could not be found.

    > IMO ubi should at least complete initialization so that attaching
    > the mtd later with ubiattach would still work.
    > I'm working around this two hacky patches that create a kernel
    > thread and retry every second for 20 seconds when the first try
    > doesn't work.
    > (Obviously this means rootdelay=$somenumber is needed)
    > I tried using the async infrastructure, but apparently
    > async_synchronize_full is called somewhere between registering the
    > async probe thread and the target USB device being registered by the
    > USB subsystem, which halts boot until my 20 second timeout, and the
    > USB stick is only detected afterwards.
    > FWIW I want to use a erasesize aware FS on my USB stick (whose
    > builtin FTL has abysmal write performance if writes are less than
    > the erasesize) and also be able to use this as my root fs.
    > So my setup is usb_storage->block2mtd->ubi->ubifs

    Hmm, how other subsystems solve this problem? Any pointer to the code?

    Best regards,
    Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)

      Last update: 2009-07-16 14:23    [W:0.021 / U:9.912 seconds]