SubjectRe: RFC for a new Scheduling policy/class in the Linux-kernel
On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 12:24 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
> > - that A is actually blocked, as said before;
>
> Why does it make any difference that A is blocked rather than busy
> waiting? In either case A cannot make forward progress.

I think it's not a problem of A, but of the overall schedule, from a
system predictability perspective.

Anyway, we are still evaluating what, if any could the issues be.

> > - that A's budget is not diminished.
>
> If we're running B with A's priority, presumably it will get some amount
> of cpu time above and beyond what it would normally have gotten during a
> particular scheduling interval.

Right...

> Perhaps it would make sense to charge B
> what it would normally have gotten, and charge the excess amount to A?

Mmm.. That's right, but I'm not sure I get what happen while executing
C... Anyway, it seems to me that we are getting closer to each other
point of view... let's keep staying in touch! :-D

Regards,
Dario

Dario Faggioli, ReTiS Lab, Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Pisa (Italy)

http://blog.linux.it/raistlin / raistlin@ekiga.net /
dario.faggioli@jabber.org

  Last update: 2009-07-14 21:17    [W:0.290 / U:0.832 seconds]