SubjectRe: compat ioctl32 for /dev/snapshot?
Pavel Machek wrote:
[]
>> In order to (try to) check if it works or not, another userspace
>> component has to be fixed to support 32/64 bit mode. It's uswsusp,
>> which currently assumes swap space structures are all 32bits. So
>> it isn't possible to immediately check if it works or not -- just
>> ioctl(s) aren't enough. Complete fix (kernel+user space) requires
>> both, fixing all remaining (yet unknown) issues in old and new
>> code on the way.
>
> Well, there seems to be single structure in s2disk; that does not seem
> that hard to fix.

Which one do you mean?

Also, do you want to make it 32/64 bit clean in userspace too, so that
an image produced by 32-bit s2disk can be read by 64bit resume and
vise versa? Sure it's good thing to have, to avoid possible issues
with 32bit initramfs on 64bit system for example...

>> For now, I think it's best to let Pavel or Rafael to decide what
>> to do with all this.
>
> I don't currently have easy access to 64bit machine, so I guess it is
> up to someone else.
[]

Ok. I applied Arnd's patch again (with two fixes -- adding
#include <linux/compat.h> and s/compat_ulong/compat_ulong_t/ and
tried suspend/resume cycle with unmodified uswsusp-0.8. Suspend
worked (seemengly - it reported about 4G pages written, on a
machine with 4G memory) but resume failed after reading all the
pages and submitting them to /dev/snapshot.

I've no time right now to debug it further (and again, yet again:
I don't know the code, neither kernel nor userspace part).

So I'd merge this change for now and deal with possible bugs later.

At least there's no failed ioctl()s on /dev/snapshot anymore,
neither at suspend nor at resume time.

/mjt

  Last update: 2009-07-14 08:59    [W:0.050 / U:0.284 seconds]