SubjectRe: [RFC] accessibility, speakup, speech synthesis & /sys
Pavel Machek, le Tue 14 Jul 2009 11:52:43 +0200, a écrit :

> > > "speech" would seem good enough substitute.
> >
> > For the speech case. Then you could have braille, speech recognition,
> > etc.
>
> Well, but maybe braile and speech recognition _don't_ belong together?

They are often used together.

> > > Do you really expect blind people to do kernel hacking?
> >
> > They do. Why shouldn't they be able to?

Yes, "..."

I'm amazed that you could think that blind people shouldn't do kernel
hacking? Why shouldn't they? Actually they could be even better at
it that sighted people, precisely because kernel stuff is mostly about
stuff that you can't see.

> > > You know, we do not translate kernel messages into other languages,
> > > either. So maybe we should make sure that Linux machines can be used
> > > without reading dmesg, and just do it from initrd?
> >
> > People can learn english. Blind people can't learn seeing.
>
> I guess for such case, serial console to machine with running system
> (with speech synthesis/braille/etc) is the way to go. Anything else
> just will not work early enough.

Yes, and so in such extreme case there is no need for particular
support. But the "initrd is hosed" case is not so rare.

Samuel