    SubjectRe: RFC for a new Scheduling policy/class in the Linux-kernel
    On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 17:44 +0200, Raistlin wrote:
    > What we would like to achieve is some set of rules that, extending the
    > UP ones, yield a situation which is both:
    > - analyzable from the real-time theorist's point of view... Which is
    > (un?)fortunately what we are :-)
    > - possible to implement... Which is not always (un!)fortunately obvious
    > here :-)

    I would very much like a proper theoretical foundation for whatever we
    end up with ;-)

    > Very basically: from the analysis point of view one easy and effective
    > solution would be to have the blocked-running tasks --i.e., the tasks
    > blocked on some lock that have been left on the rq to proxy-execute the
    > lock owner-- busy waiting while the lock owner is running. This allows
    > for retaining a lot of nice properties BWI already has, as far as
    > analyzability is concerned.

    Right, practically we cannot do this, since we expose the block graph to
    userspace and you could in userspace construct a program that would
    exploit this spinning to DoS the system.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-07-13 19:31    [W:0.029 / U:235.796 seconds]