SubjectRe: [rfc][patch 3/4] fs: new truncate sequence
On 07/13/2009 12:00 PM, Nick Piggin wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:54:15AM +0300, Boaz Harrosh wrote:

>>> Agreed, if it is a common sequence / requirement for filesystems
>>> then of course I will not object to a helper to make things clearer
>>> or share code.
>>>
>>> I would like to see inode_setattr renamed into simple_setattr, and
>>> then also .setattr made mandatory, so I don't like to cut code out
>>> of inode_setattr which makes it unable to be the simple_setattr
>>> after the old truncate code is removed.
>>>
>> I thought you meant inode_setattr will go away. There will
>> only be simple_setattr() and inode_setattr_nosize()
>>
>> For the time been simple_setattr() will also take care
>> of old ->truncate FSs. And in the absence of .setattr
>> simple_setattr() is called. Have I miss-understood?
>>
>> again please tell me when all this is in effect I want
>> to do the conversion in exofs.
>
> AFAIKS inode_setattr basically is simple_setattr, so I think at some
> point it should just get renamed to simple_setattr. Adding
> simple_setattr_nosize or similar helper would be fine too. I don't
> care much about the exact details... But anyway these things are not
> so important to this truncate patchset at the moment.

I see. So what is the schedule? when are we to convert all FSs?

>> [BTW these changes are a life saver for me in regard to
>> the kind of things I need to do for pNFS-exports]
>
> You mean the truncate patches? Well that's nice to know. I
> guess it has always been possible just to redefine your own
> setattr, but now it should be a bit nicer with the truncate
> helpers...

OK, yes redefine .setattr, do the right thing in write_begin/end
and the helpers do help a lot, to the point that it was not safe to
open-code all this work. The situation is much better after your
patchset.

> Thanks,
> Nick

Thanks
Boaz

  Last update: 2009-07-13 13:21    [W:0.174 / U:0.824 seconds]