SubjectRe: make xconfig fails on Fedora 10 for 2.6.30
On 07/10/2009 04:15 PM, Wayne Pollock wrote:
> The "make xconfig" command tried to link to "libXi.so".
> I think this is actually a kernel bug; the binary this
> make command builds should try to link to some "soname"
> such as "libXi.so.6" instead, shouldn't it?

No, applications are generally supposed to link to the plain name, and
the resulting binary will end up linked to the version-specific name
because of the symlink. Applications don't generally need to know what
version of the library they're linking against, if they care they can
usually figure it out from the headers they are including.

> The work-around was to manually create the missing symlink
> for "libXi.so". I suspect other distro's install that
> symlink automatically so maybe that's why the bug was
> not discovered. But I believe it is correct to say all
> applications should use a soname (including the major
> version number), and not just the "linker" name (the
> name ending in ".so" with no version numbers).
>
> Or am I missing something?

Not a bug, the symlink is supposed to be there. (Could be you need to
install some devel package to get it..)

  Last update: 2009-07-11 07:15    [W:0.041 / U:24.616 seconds]