SubjectHow to monitor Linux NFS client load?
Date
Recently we have the case of very high latencies on NFS reads as
reported by application (SAP R/3). NFS server was NetApp FAS; according
to NetApp statistic, average volume read latencies were in order 10ms,
while SAP stats gave 30-50ms. Systems were interconnected by dedicated
1Gb/s Cisco switches (3750G) with ca. 30% max load on interfaces.

On advice of my colleague we changed sunrpc.tcp_slot_table_entries from
default 16 to 128 which seemed to make situation much better - without
changing load pattern of filer in any visible way.

Now, I can understand, why we observed much higher latency on system and
why changing (what effectively is) queue depth helped. But I am totally
frustrated that there does not appear to be *any* possibility to detect
this situation on Linux side and to get a real numbers of real NFS IO
latencies or number of requests waiting to be executed (and I do not
even dream about per-mount point stats).

I am grateful for any hints how can we monitor Linux NFS client and get
real-life numbers of what happens inside. Thank you!

-andrey

  Last update: 2009-07-11 19:05    [W:0.145 / U:0.296 seconds]