SubjectRe: Intel BIOS - Corrupted low memory at ffff880000004200
Thomas Gleixner schrieb:
> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009, Alexey Fisher wrote:

>>> The problem is that the BIOS corrupted memory that it also marked as
>>> 'usable' in its E820 map it gave to the kernel. If that memory is not
>>> usable, it should not have been marked as such. Also, some of the reports
>>> showed corruption beyond this range so the workaround is not universal.
>>>
>>> So i'd really like to know what is happening there, instead of just zapping
>>> support for 64K of RAM on the majority of Linux systems.
>>>
>>> We might end up doing the same thing in the end (i.e. disable that 64k of
>>> RAM) - but it should be an informed decision, not a wild stab in the dark.
>>>
>>> Ingo
>> If i make memory dump like "dd if=/dev/mem of=memdump.dd bs=64k count=1"
>> before and after suspend. Will it help you find out whats happening.
>
> The corrupted low memory printks contain the modifications. Can you
> post them please ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> tglx

I dumped all between 0000000 - 00ffff0
and there is changes at:
0004200 -> this know one
003c000 - 003fff0 -> this was empty and now it looks like VBIOS
00d18a0 -> i don't know

cat /proc/iomem
00000000-0000ffff : reserved
00010000-0009e7ff : System RAM
0009e800-0009ffff : reserved
000e0000-000fffff : reserved
00100000-bd90dfff : System RAM
01000000-014b1f1b : Kernel code
014b1f1c-0171265f : Kernel data
01794000-01842c07 : Kernel bss

  Last update: 2009-07-10 16:47    [W:0.074 / U:1.160 seconds]