    SubjectRe: [patch] proc.txt: Update kernel filesystem/proc.txt documentation
    On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 22:53:27 +0200
    Stefani Seibold <> wrote:

    > Am Dienstag, den 09.06.2009, 12:36 -0700 schrieb Andrew Morton:
    > > On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 12:35:58 +0200
    > > Stefani Seibold <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > This is a patch against the file Documentation/filesystem/proc.txt.
    > > >
    > > > It is an update for the "Process-Specific Subdirectories" to reflect
    > > > the changes till kernel 2.6.30. It also introduce the my
    > > > "provide stack information for threads".
    > >
    > > Sorry, but it would be much preferable to do this as two patches. The
    > > first fixes up proc.txt and the second adds the
    > > stack-information-for-threads material.
    > >
    > That is really frustrating. I did everything that you and ingo molnar
    > had complained.
    > What is wrong with the "provide stack information for threads"? It is a
    > very tiny patch which did not harm.
    > The only reason to fix and update the proc.txt was that you told me that
    > this is the last thing that you miss.

    It's more a procedural thing really. We've learnt that it's best to
    avoid mixing more than a single "concept" into a single patch. For a
    whole pile of reasons: reviewability, bisectability, revertability,
    testability, etc.

    In this case, it's unobvious which parts of the patch were specific to
    the stack-information-for-threads changes and which parts were not.
    This makes it hard to review your proposed changes.

    > > This is because the two changes are quite conceptually distinct, and we
    > > might end up wanting to merge one chage and not the other.
    > >
    > Okay, if the other patch will not included than it makes no sense for me
    > to get in the other.
    > Simple question: will you accept the thread stack info patch or not? If
    > yes, i will spent the time to split proc.txt patch.

    It looks OK to me now. If it passes testing and nobody has fatal
    objections then yes, I expect it'll be merged in 2.6.31.

    The way to organise these changes is

    [patch 1/2] fix proc.txt
    [patch 2/2] procfs: provide stack information for threads

    The second patch will contain a small update to proc.txt.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-06-10 00:07    [W:0.022 / U:7.108 seconds]