    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.30-rc8 [also: VIA Support]
    On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 07:17:44AM -0500, Michael S. Zick wrote:
    > The mainstream kernel, e_powersaver, is *under-clocking* my machine -
    >
    > The cpuid instruction provides the minimum and maximum GSF values
    > (Guaranteed Stable Frequency) for that processor mask run -
    > Passing that on as the lower and upper limits to e_powersaver should
    > stop that problem. Will be testing this RSN.

    Can you provide more information on where you think you are getting the GSF
    values from? I am not aware of such information.

    The internal documentation always only refres to the minimum VID/FID values
    from the MSR. Also, according to the specifications of all C7 models listed,
    there are some that require a minimum of 400MHz, others require a minimum of
    800. I have not found any that would require a minimum of 600MHz.

    So I don't really know if your system really operates outside any specified
    range.

    The only thing I know of that you can read from the CPUID vendor string is
    the maximum clock frequency in ASCII.

    So it seems, e_powersaver is not really at all as dangerous as it appeared!

    --
    - Harald Welte <HaraldWelte@viatech.com> http://linux.via.com.tw/
    VIA Free and Open Source Software Liaison

      Last update: 2009-06-09 10:23    [W:3.794 / U:0.344 seconds]