SubjectRe: PROBLEM: Removing Huawei E220 HSDPA Modem causes system to completely hang
On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, Jiri Kosina wrote:

> [ added linux-usb to CC and kept the whole original mail for reference ]
>
> On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, Jonathan Cervidae wrote:
>
> > While at first the easy fix to this issue would be "Don't remove modem",
> > sometimes it resets itself and therefore appears to disconnect and
> > reconnect which causes the system crash.
>
> What is the product ID of the device? (lsusb will tell you).
>
> > I can reproduce the problem 80% of the time by ripping the modem out of
> > the USB port. However, if I kill -9 pppd before doing it, it never
> > happens so the problem appears to be an interaction between pppd and the
> > kernel. As full system lockups in my limited knowledge must be kernel
> > problems since systems should never fully lock (with flashing caps lock
> > and scroll lock lights, not responsive to magic sysreq keys) presumably
> > this is a kernel bug.
> >
> > It also did not happen until recently, some point within the last month. I
> > would have reported it earlier (and reverted to a kernel that didn't do it)
> > but didn't realise why it was happening.

Two patches for usb-serial drivers were posted recently to fix this
sort of problem:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=124395806322087&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=124395806222085&w=2

See if the two of them together solve everything.

Alan Stern

  Last update: 2009-06-08 22:23    [W:0.030 / U:0.608 seconds]