    SubjectRe: 2.6.30-rc8 Oops whilst booting
    Sorry James, I forgot to ask...

    2009/6/8 James Bottomley <>:
    > On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 09:08 +0100, Chris Clayton wrote:
    >> Hi Neil,
    >> Thanks for the reply.
    >> >>> >> >

    >> > This message says that it found a vfat filesystem on 8:3x (I cannot see
    >> > what digit should be 'x').  That is probably sdc1 or sdc2. Maybe even
    >> > sdc6 or sdc7.
    >> > However the vfat filesystem didn't have /sbin/init.
    >> >

    >> > This one says it couldn't find anything at 8,22, which I think
    >> > should be sdb6.
    >> > It also shows that you have and sdc6, but sdb only goes up to sdb3.
    >> >
    >> > So it seems that your disk drives have changed name - not a wholely
    >> > unexpected event these days.
    >> >
    >> > We now need answers to questions like:
    >> >  - what device do you expect the root filesystem to be on
    >> >  - how is the kernel being told this?  Maybe it is hard coded
    >> >    into your initrd.  Knowing which distro and what /etc/fstab
    >> >    says might help (though it wouldn't help me, I'm just about out
    >> >    of my depth at this point)
    >> > Maybe if you changed /etc/fstab to mount by uuid instead of hardcoding
    >> > e.g. /etc/sdb3, and then run "mkinitramfs" or whatever, it might work.
    >> >
    >> Yes, I've just been looking at the photographs of the panics again and
    >> I've noticed that two of my discs are being detected in the "wrong
    >> order". There are three HDDS. The first, /dev/sda, is the master on
    >> the first IDE port and contains sda1..sda7. The second, normally
    >> /dev/sdb, is the slave on that port and contains sdb1..sdb6. The
    >> third, normally /dev/sdc, is attached to the first SATA port and
    >> contains sdc1..sdc3. The second photograph I posted shows that sdb and
    >> sdc have been reversed. The first partition on the disc that is
    >> normally /dev/sdb does indeed have a FAT32 filesystem in the first
    >> partition.
    >> By the way, I should have said that in between the panics that the two
    >> photographs show, I copied contents of /dev/sdc1, which I normally
    >> boot from, to /dev/sdb6, so that I minimised the risk to sdc1 in the
    >> reboot festival that bisecting would involve. I also, of course,
    >> changed the name of the root partition that is passed to the kernel by
    >> GRUB and amended /etc/fstab on /dev/sdb6. That's why the partitions
    >> shown in the photographs seem inconsistent. Sorry I forgot to mention
    >> that - I really shouldn't do these things late at night :-).
    > Actually, you can save yourself a lot of pain by mounting by label
    > instead ... that way both grub and fstab will find your root disc even
    > if it has swapped order.

    Would I be right in assuming from this that "out-of-order" detection
    is expected behaviour? If so, I'll fix up my system and shut up :-) I
    suspect I may not be the only person on the planet who specifies the
    root filesystem in this way, though.

    >> As I indicate above, when booting the partition I have set up to do
    >> this bisecting,  I expect the root filesystem to be on /dev/hdb6. As I
    >> also indicate, this information is passed to the kernel through GRUB's
    >> /boot/grub/menu.lst. The kernel is configured specifically for my
    >> system and the drivers needed to boot the system are built in to the
    >> kernel, so I don't use an initrd. IIRC, that's the way Slackware is
    >> installed today, except, of course, it's a big fat kernel with all
    >> drivers needed to boot any system built in. I could be wrong on that
    >> though, it's a while since I installed
    > The fact that a slave on the first channel is detected after the SATA
    > indicates a problem with async probing.  What are the two drivers for
    > these?
    > James

    No, Sir; there is nothing which has yet been contrived by man, by which
    so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern or inn - Doctor Samuel

      Last update: 2009-06-08 17:21    [W:0.028 / U:0.832 seconds]