SubjectRe: [Bug #13319] Page allocation failures with b43 and p54usb
Mel Gorman wrote:

> We've encountered this before and the conclusion was that the current
> adjustments for watermark calculations of high-order allocations is right,
> or at least there is no better alternative. In other words, the page
> allocator in this instance is behaving as expected. Do we want to
> revisit that discussion as to whether the watermark calculations for
> high-order allocation should change? I think we'll reach the same
> conclusion or at least decide that allowing the order-1 atomic
> allocation to succeed here would just postpone the problem.

It would not just postpone the problem, it would also
bring the system closer to a state where kswapd does
something about the order-1 free areas.

This might postpone the problem indefinately.

Currently the system fails early, without kswapd
kicking in and freeing new order-1 areas.

--
All rights reversed.