    SubjectRe: [Bug #13319] Page allocation failures with b43 and p54usb
    Mel Gorman wrote:

    > We've encountered this before and the conclusion was that the current
    > adjustments for watermark calculations of high-order allocations is right,
    > or at least there is no better alternative. In other words, the page
    > allocator in this instance is behaving as expected. Do we want to
    > revisit that discussion as to whether the watermark calculations for
    > high-order allocation should change? I think we'll reach the same
    > conclusion or at least decide that allowing the order-1 atomic
    > allocation to succeed here would just postpone the problem.

    It would not just postpone the problem, it would also
    bring the system closer to a state where kswapd does
    something about the order-1 free areas.

    This might postpone the problem indefinately.

    Currently the system fails early, without kswapd
    kicking in and freeing new order-1 areas.

    All rights reversed.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-06-08 15:23    [W:0.020 / U:5.724 seconds]