SubjectRe: [RFC] CPU hard limits
Bharata B Rao wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 01:27:55PM +0800, Balbir Singh wrote:
>
>> * Avi Kivity <avi@redhat.com> [2009-06-05 08:21:43]:

>>> I think so. Given guarantees G1..Gn (0 <= Gi <= 1; sum(Gi) <= 1), and a
>>> cpu hog running in each group, how would the algorithm divide resources?
>>>

>> As per the matrix calculation, but as soon as we reach an idle point,
>> we redistribute the b/w and start a new quantum so to speak, where all
>> groups are charged up to their hard limits.
>>

> But could there be client models where you are required to strictly
> adhere to the limit within the bandwidth and not provide more (by advancing
> the bandwidth period) in the presence of idle cycles ?

That's the limit part. I'd like to be able to specify limits and
guarantees on the same host and for the same groups; I don't think that
works when you advance the bandwidth period.

I think we need to treat guarantees as first-class goals, not something
derived from limits (in fact I think guarantees are more useful as they
can be used to provide SLAs).

signature is too narrow to contain.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans