SubjectRe: Mild filesystem corruption on ext4 (no journal)
Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Alan Jenkins wrote:
>
>> Aioanei Rares wrote:
>>

>>> I suspect, although I might be wrong, that this is not a kernel-related
>>> problem.
>>>
>> "To try and rule out a faulty userspace program, I marked the file as
>> read-only (chmod a-w) and immutable (chattr +i). After a reboot, the
>> file was still read-only and immutable, yet it still became corrupted."
>>
>> Since the immutable bit is not respected, I tend to think it is a kernel
>> problem. Unless the filesystem isn't getting unmounted/flushed properly
>> for some reason... but I thought the modern kernel had that covered.
>>
>> I agree it is very suspicious this happens only after upgrading libc.
>> I'll see if I can find an individual change in libc locale-handling that
>> might trigger this.
>>

> Maybe you could try some things in your shutdown script, such as
> explicitly fsyncing the file, or bmapping it with filefrag, or dropping
> caches and rereading it... see what the state is just before the
> shutdown compared to after the reboot.
>
> -Eric

Dropping caches (and running sync first) had no effect on the result of
md5sum. Hopefully that narrows it down a bit.

Thanks to your prodding though, I have another interesting finding:

If I remove the corrupted file and copy a "known good" copy into it's
place, then the corruption doesn't happen. I've verified this a couple
of times. The corruption only occurs if the file was created by
"locale-gen".

I'll continue to try work out why :-).

Thanks
Alan

  Last update: 2009-06-05 18:45    [W:0.058 / U:2.624 seconds]