    SubjectRe: When does Linux drop UDP packets?
    On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Alexander Clouter wrote:

    > Philipp Reh <sefi@s-e-f-i.de> wrote:
    >>
    >> I have the following setting in which a client that resides on the same
    >> physical network as a server wants to receive any UDP packet that
    >> arrives on any of its interfaces sent by that server.
    >>
    > Read up about multicasting, it will do what you want, does not depend on
    > the IP address of the destination workstation and will also cross
    > subnets if you want it to.
    >
    > It's dead easy to transmit and receive multicast traffic, broadcasting
    > network traffic is so 1980's :)

    there is only a difference between multicast and broadcast traffic if you
    are spanning subnets.

    but the issue here is the rp_filter, and that would also filter out
    multicast packets from sources that you don't have routes to.

    David Lang

      Last update: 2009-06-05 01:23    [W:2.612 / U:0.220 seconds]