    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.30-rc8 [also: VIA Support]
    Harald Welte <HaraldWelte@viatech.com> writes:

    > why would it matter on UP? as indicated, I'm not the expert here, but I thought
    > memory ordering issues only arise in SMP systems [or possibly with regard to
    > DMA, but as we already explored much earlier in this thread, drivers that access
    > DMA buffers whil the hardware owns them are buggy and need to be fixed]

    Sorry we didn't establish that. Accessing data structures that are
    also accessed by DMA hardware is pretty common in fact and memory
    ordering issues also come up regularly (e.g. all the infamous PCI
    posting bugs)

    What we established is that the drivers don't use LOCK for it
    (or at least we think that's very unlikely)

    -Andi

      Last update: 2009-06-04 22:19    [W:0.023 / U:0.124 seconds]