    SubjectRe: Xen is a feature
    Frans Pop wrote:
    > ! The kernel policy always was and still is to accept only those
    > ! features which have a technical benefit **to the code base**.

    Yes, I think I understood him better after I responded to his e-mail
    (unfortunately). When people say things like "dom0 adds all these hooks
    but doesn't add anything to Linux", they mean something like this
    (please correct me anyone, if I'm wrong).

    Kernel developers want Linux, as a project, to have cool things in it.
    They want it to be cool. Adding new features, new capabilities, new
    technical code, makes it cooler. Sometimes adding new features to make
    it cooler has some cost in terms of adding things to other parts of the
    code, possibly making it a little less clean or a little more
    convoluted. But if the coolness is cool enough, it's worth the cost.

    The feeling is that adding a bunch of these dom0 hooks (especially of
    the type, "if(xen) { foo; }"), are a cost to Linux. They make the code
    ugly. They do allow a new kind of coolness, a (linux-dom0 + Xen)
    coolness. But none of the coolness actually happens in Linux; it all
    happens in Xen. So coolness may happen, and world happiness might
    increase marginally, but Linux itself doesn't seem any cooler, it just
    has the cost of all these ugly hooks. Thus the "Linux is Xen's sex
    slave" analogy. :-)

    If (hypothetically) we merged Xen into Linux, then (people are
    suggesting) the coolness of Xen would actually contribute to the
    coolness of Linux ("add technical benefit to the code base"). People
    would feel like working on the interface between linux-xen and the rest
    of linux would be making their own piece of software, Linux, work
    better, rather than feeling like they have to work with some foreign
    project that doesn't make their code any cooler.

    Is that a pretty accurate representation of the "adding features which
    have a technical benefit to the code base" argument?

    -George

      Last update: 2009-06-04 15:25    [W:0.024 / U:1.836 seconds]