SubjectRe: [RFC] CPU hard limits
Bharata B Rao wrote:
> 2. Need for hard limiting CPU resource
> --------------------------------------
> - Pay-per-use: In enterprise systems that cater to multiple clients/customers
> where a customer demands a certain share of CPU resources and pays only
> that, CPU hard limits will be useful to hard limit the customer's job
> to consume only the specified amount of CPU resource.
> - In container based virtualization environments running multiple containers,
> hard limits will be useful to ensure a container doesn't exceed its
> CPU entitlement.
> - Hard limits can be used to provide guarantees.

How can hard limits provide guarantees?

Let's take an example where I have 1 group that I wish to guarantee a
20% share of the cpu, and anther 8 groups with no limits or guarantees.

One way to achieve the guarantee is to hard limit each of the 8 other
groups to 10%; the sum total of the limits is 80%, leaving 20% for the
guarantee group. The downside is the arbitrary limit imposed on the
other groups.

Another way is to place the 8 groups in a container group, and limit
that to 80%. But that doesn't work if I want to provide guarantees to
several groups.

  Last update: 2009-06-04 14:23    [W:0.239 / U:0.188 seconds]