    SubjectRe: [RFC] accessibility, speakup, speech synthesis & /sys
    Hello,

    Greg KH, le Mon 29 Jun 2009 21:18:33 -0700, a écrit :
    > > I believe there are two things:
    > >
    > > - per- harware speech synthesizer parameters (e.g. speed, pitch, etc.)
    > > - screen reading parameters (e.g. characters pronunciation, key_echo,
    > > current synthesizer being used etc.)
    > >
    > > Speech synthesizers should probably have their own device class, how
    > > should it be called? "synth"? "speech"?
    >
    > Which do you think it should?

    Speakup used to call them "synth", but anything else than speech could
    be synthesized, so speech may be better.

    > > Then there are the screen reading parameters. I'd tend to think that
    > > like there are /sys/{block,firmware,fs,power}, there could be a
    > > /sys/accessibility, or even shorter, /sys/a11y? Speakup parameters
    > > could then be in /sys/a11y/speakup?
    >
    > Wouldn't these be on a "per-screen" basis?

    Mmm, what do you call a screen? I guess you mean
    /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon0? It would make sense indeed.

    > So they would live under the screen reader device itself, not way up
    > high in the device tree.

    One problem is usability. That's something that users
    will often want to tune, and /sys/a11y/speakup/key_echo is
    definitely easier for the very common case of one head, than
    /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon0/reader/speakup/key_echo :)

    > Actually, you are proposing them outside of the device tree, which I
    > do not think you want at all.

    It depends on what you call a "device". It's probably not obvious that
    a screen reader is a device, but why not.

    > What specific files are you thinking you would need?

    There are a lot of them actually, like 20, tuning various aspects of
    reading what happens on the console.

    Samuel