    SubjectRe: [benchmark] 1% performance overhead of paravirt_ops on native kernels
    Ulrich Drepper wrote:
    > Ingo pointed to a way which doesn't negatively impact the
    > performance of the Xen kernel and reduces the overhead (dynamic
    > patching)

    The pvops code is already fully dynamically patched, which replaces all
    the indirect calls with either direct calls, inline instructions or
    nops. It has been this way from the initial implementation.

    More recently I changed the calling convention on some of the most
    common critical-path ops to reduce the register pressure caused by the
    function call clobbers; you just don't need a pile of registers to
    disable interrupts.

    Ingo knows all this, so I'm not sure what further patching he's
    suggesting. I don't see any more likely candidates, but I'm open to

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-06-03 08:35    [W:0.020 / U:34.044 seconds]