    SubjectRe: Merge Xen (the hypervisor) into Linux
    On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 11:31:13 -0600
    "Chris Friesen" <> wrote:

    > Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > > A lot of Xen legacies could be dropped: the crazy ring1 hack on
    > > 32-bit, the various wide interfaces to make pure-software
    > > virtualization limp along. All major CPUs shipped with hardware
    > > virtualization support in the past 2-3 years, so the availability of
    > > VMX and SVM can be taken for granted for such a project.
    > That's a pretty bold statement. I have five x86 machines in my house
    > currently being used, and none of them support VMX/SVM.
    > At least some Lenovo laptops disable VMX in the BIOS with no way to
    > enable it. Some of the Core2Duo chips don't support VMX at all.

    Ditto some Atom cpus which in turn means you can't run kvm on all the
    netbooks right now - which is one place its very useful.

    > I think Xen without paravirtualization would be a serious degradation of
    > usefulness.

    At that point you can just use kvm anyway.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-06-03 19:41    [W:0.022 / U:4.552 seconds]