    SubjectRe: kmemleak suggestion (long message)
    On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 08:59 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > * Sergey Senozhatsky <> wrote:
    > > Currently kmemleak prints info about all objects. I guess
    > > sometimes kmemleak gives you more than you actually need.
    > It prints _a lot_ of info and spams the syslog. I lost crash info a
    > few days ago due to that: by the time i inspected a crashed machine
    > the tons of kmemleak output scrolled out the crash from the dmesg
    > buffer.
    > This is not acceptable.
    > Instead it should perhaps print _at most_ a single line every few
    > minutes, printing a summary about _how many_ leaked entries it
    > suspects, and should offer a /debug/mm/kmemleak style of file where
    > the entries can be read out from.

    I agree as well. It already provides the /sys/kernel/debug/kmemleak
    which triggers a scan and shows possible leaks. That's easily fixable.

    BTW, this was questioned in the past as well - do we still need the
    automatic scanning from a kernel thread? Can a user cron job just read
    the kmemleak file?

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-06-26 10:29    [W:0.023 / U:56.060 seconds]