    SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH] Winbond CIR driver for the WPCD376I chip (ACPI/PNP id WEC1022)
    On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 04:46:01 -0700
    David Härdeman <> wrote:

    > On Thu, June 25, 2009 00:13, Jesse Barnes wrote:
    > > On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:36:45 -0700
    > > David Härdeman <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I've written a driver for the
    > >> Winbond WPCD376I chipset
    > >
    > > Yay, glad I could get these released for you. I just did a quick
    > > scan of the driver (notes below)
    > Two more things that Intel could provide:
    > a) Publish the datasheet (I know you mentioned doing this but
    > I can't find it on the Intel website)

    Ah I was hoping that had been done already; I'll ping the docs people
    about it.

    > b) Make the hardware needed to actually use the CIR functionality
    > available for purchase. seems to be more
    > or less dead (which is curious since an ad for the website
    > seems to be included with every CIR-enabled Intel motherboard).
    > I had to solder my own IR receiver in order to write the driver.

    Oh that might be harder. We just provide the boards for OEMs and
    resellers; often not made directly for end users...

    > >> Where should this driver go in the tree? drivers/platform/x86/?
    > >
    > > drivers/char is probably fine.
    > I'm leaning towards drivers/input/misc now...

    Seems ok too.

    > > The key up/down timeout handling seems like a pretty general
    > > problem, maybe the input layer has some helpers for it? Dunno.
    > drivers/media/common/ir-functions.c is the closest thing I could find
    > while writing the driver. The functions there aren't usable because
    > they do not properly implement the toggle/repeat handling and it
    > forces the use of a small, fixed-size keymap. The same problem
    > existed when I improved the IR functionality in
    > drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/budget-ci.c by the way, so a generic version
    > could probably be added to ir-functions in the future.

    Sounds good.

    > > Are these just for debugging? If so, you could put them in debugfs
    > > instead...
    > No, they are there to help the user when generating a keymap for an
    > unknown remote. Press key on remote, read value from
    > /sys/.../last_scancode, add line saying "0x12345678 = KEY_EXPLODE" to
    > keymap file, repeat...there aren't any user-friendly tools for this
    > yet though.

    Ah right, yeah that's a good use for sysfs.

      Last update: 2009-06-25 18:23    [W:0.023 / U:19.744 seconds]