    SubjectLinux 2.6.31-rc1

    We've had the regular two-week (and one day) merge window, and -rc1 is
    out, and the merge window is closed.

    [ I suspect I'll still merge the SCore architecture, I wanted to give it a
    quick peek, but I've been busy with all the other patches so I'm closing
    the merge window now, but leaving myself the option of merging Score
    later - last I looked, the only non-SCore file it touched was the
    MAINTAINERS file, so it's not like it should break anything else ]

    There's a lot in there, but let me say that as far as the whole merge
    window has gone, I've seldom felt happier merging stuff from people. I'm
    really hoping it isn't just a fluke, but people kept their git trees
    clean, and while there were a couple of times that I said "no, I'm not
    going to merge that", on the whole this was a really painless merge window
    for me.

    I'm not saying that it was necessarily less bug-free than usual, I'm just
    saying that on the whole people sent me merge requests that made sense,
    explained what they did, and when I pulled I saw clear development lines.
    That just makes it much easier for me.

    So thanks to everybody involved.

    I hope that doesn't mean that it was really painful for others, or that
    we'll be chasing down more bugs than usual. And I _really_ hope we can
    keep things going this way, and it wasn't a one-off "things just happened
    to work this time".

    As to the actual changes - too many to list. As usual, the bulk of the
    changes are to drivers (70% of the diffs), with drivers/staging being the
    bulk of that (about 60% of all driver changes - 40% of the total). But
    wonder of wonder, I think drivers/staging actually _shrank_ this time
    around, alledgely due to cleanups. Believe that who will.

    On the filesystem front, we had btrfs, ext3 and xfs getting active
    development (Why xfs? Beats me, but that's what the stats say), and a fair
    chunk of work on the whole fsnotify unification work. And the VFS layer
    got some TLC wrt ACL and private namespace handling.

    On architectures: ARM, powerpc, mips, sh, x86 are the bulk of it. On ARM,
    the bulk is new platforms (u300, freescale stmp, whatever), there seems to
    be no end to crazy new arm platforms. On x86 (and at least some degree on
    powerpc), a noticeable part is the whole new perf-counter subsystem. Along
    with lots and lots of other stuff.

    On the whole? Tons of stuff. Let's start testign and stabilizing.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-10-18 23:28    [W:0.023 / U:6.376 seconds]