    SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH 2.6.32] Simple Firmware Interface (SFI): initial support
    On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Matthew Garrett wrote:

    > On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 04:00:55PM -0400, Len Brown wrote:
    >
    > > But given that the hardware is fixed (it was fixed over a year ago),
    > > the question becomes what does ACPI mean on such a platform?
    > > It turns out that if you look at the ACPI spec and delete all the
    > > things that could not possibly apply to MRST, then you are left
    > > with very little.
    >
    > Right, but instead you've effectively taken ACPI, done s/XSDT/SYST/ and
    > then only supported a subset of the static tables and added some others.

    sfi_acpi_table_parse(ACPI_SIG_MCFG, NULL, NULL, 0, pci_parse_mcfg);

    is used today to provide access to a standard PCI-SIG-defined ACPI-wrapped
    static MMCONFIG table via a standard ACPI XSDT.

    No, this doesn't mean that the platform firmware supports ACPI mode.
    The XSDT simply keeps the SFI table name space from conflicting
    with the ACPI table name-space.

    If there is a need to access another ACPI defined/reserved signature
    table, the same mechanism can be used -- just fill in the signature
    and the routine to parse the table.

    > In return we gain two implementations to debug. I'm absolutely fine with
    > the concept of a cut-down ACPI, but I'm pretty uncomfortable with it
    > being implemented as a single-vendor spec. Right now SFI's a
    > reimplementation of functionality we already have for the benefit of a
    > single chipset, whereas instead it could have been a refactoring of the
    > ACPI codebase to allow vendors to include whatever subset of the ACPI
    > functionality they felt necessary.

    It is a fact that the list of things that SFI could have been,
    and the list of things that SFI is not,
    are _both_ much larger than the list of things it is.

    cheers,
    -Len Brown, Intel Open Source Technology Center

      Last update: 2009-06-23 23:39    [W:0.021 / U:1.680 seconds]