SubjectRE: PROBLEM: kernel oops with g_serial USB gadget on 2.6.30

On Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:23 AM, David Brownell wrote:

> > > Like, oh, changing a spinlock to a mutex.   You might change the
> > > low_latency setting and review how that's now supposed to behave.
> >
> > In in gs_open() function in drivers/usb/gadget/u_serial.c, after the
> > line 780 I've added:
> >
> > tty->low_latency = 1;
> That's already how it's set. Try instead *REMOVING* the line
> which sets that flag.

My fault. I didn't notice that a few lines lower the low_latency flag is
alredy set and I thought I should set it. After removing that, g_serial
started working. :) Thanks a lot.

I noticed that there is also a comment:
/* low_latency means ldiscs work in tasklet context, without
* needing a workqueue schedule ... easier to keep up.
So in low latency mode calls are made from a tasklet. This is not true in
my case, as the S3C OTG UDC driver does all its job in interrupts. This
way also a (usb) packet_done callback is done from an interrupt. I expect
that g_serial driver interacts with tty layer in that packet_done callback,
so this is the source of the problems. I noticed that some other UDC
drivers also does all its job from an interrupt, so they also might be
affected. How this bug should be properly resolved?

Best regards
Marek Szyprowski
Samsung Poland R&D Center