    SubjectRe: [perfmon2] IV.3 - AMD IBS

    Ingo Molnar wrote:
    >> 3/ AMD IBS
    >> How is AMD IBS going to be implemented?
    >> IBS has two separate sets of registers. One to capture fetch
    >> related data and another one to capture instruction execution
    >> data. For each, there is one config register but multiple data
    >> registers. In each mode, there is a specific sampling period and
    >> IBS can interrupt.
    >> It looks like you could define two pseudo events or event types
    >> and then define a new record_format and read_format. That formats
    >> would only be valid for an IBS event.
    >> Is that how you intend to support IBS?
    > That is indeed one of the ways we thought of, not really nice, but
    > then, IBS is really weird, what were those AMD engineers thinking
    > :-)

    Actually, IBS has roots in DEC's "ProfileMe" for Alpha EV67 and later
    processors. Those of us who used it there found it to be an extremely
    powerful, low-overhead mechanism for directly collecting information about
    how well the micro-architecture is performing. In particular, it can tell
    you, not only which instructions take a long time to traverse the pipe, but
    it also tells you which instructions delay other instructions and by how much.
    This is extremely valuable if you are either working on instruction scheduling
    in a compiler, or are modifying a program to give the compiler the opportunity
    to do a good job.

    A core group of engineers who worked on Alpha went on to AMD.

    An unfortunate problem with IBS on AMD is that good support isn't common in the "mainstream"
    open source community.

    Code Analyst from AMD, also involving ex-DEC engineers, is
    the only place where it is supported at all decently throughout the tool chain.
    Last time I looked, there was a tweaked version of oprofile underlying CA.
    I haven't checked to see whether the tweaks have migrated back into the oprofile

    > The point is - weird hardware gets expressed as a ... weird feature
    > under perfcounters too. Not all hardware weirdnesses can be
    > engineered away.

    Robert J. Fowler
    Chief Domain Scientist, HPC
    Renaissance Computing Institute
    100 Europa Dr, Suite 540
    Chapel Hill, NC 27517
    V: 919.445.9670
    F: 919 445.9669

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-06-22 16:21    [W:0.024 / U:2.028 seconds]