    SubjectRe: I.10 - Event buffer minimal useful size
    > 10/ Event buffer minimal useful size
    >
    > As it stands, the buffer header occupies the first page, even
    > though the buffer header struct is 32-byte long. That's a lot of
    > precious RLIMIT_MEMLOCK memory wasted.
    >
    > The actual buffer (data) starts at the next page (from builtin-top.c):
    >
    > static void mmap_read_counter(struct mmap_data *md)
    > {
    > unsigned int head = mmap_read_head(md);
    > unsigned int old = md->prev;
    > unsigned char *data = md->base + page_size;
    >
    > Given that the buffer "full" notification are sent on page
    > crossing boundaries, if the actual buffer payload size is 1 page,
    > you are guaranteed to have your samples overwritten.
    >
    > This leads me to believe that the minimal buffer size to get
    > useful data is 3 pages. This is per event group per thread. That
    > puts a lot of pressure on RLIMIT_MEMLOCK which is ususally set
    > fairly low by distros.

    Regarding notifications: you can actually tell it to generate
    wakeups every 'n' events instead of at page boundaries. (See:
    attr.wakeup_events).

    Regarding locked pags: there is an extra per user mlock limit for
    perf counters found in sysctl_perf_counter_mlock so it can be
    configured independently. Furthermore, the accounting is done on a
    per struct user basis, not on a per task basis - which makes the use
    of locked pages far less of an issue to distros.

    Regarding using 4K for the sampling data header: we are making use
    of that property. We recently extended the header to include more
    fields and having it writable - so the 4K MMU separation between
    data header and data pages very much paid off already - and it could
    provide more advantages in the future.

      Last update: 2009-06-22 13:59    [W:0.026 / U:178.308 seconds]