SubjectRe: I.3 - Multiplexing and system-wide
> 3/ Multiplexing and system-wide
>
> Multiplexing is time-based and it is hooked into the timer tick.
> At every tick, the kernel tries to schedule another set of event
> groups.
>
> In tickless kernels if a CPU is idle, no timer tick is generated,
> therefore no multiplexing occurs. This is incorrect. It's not
> because the CPU is idle, that there aren't any interesting PMU
> events to measure. Parts of the CPU may still be active, e.g.,
> caches and buses. And thus, it is expected that multiplexing still
> happens.
>
> You need to hook up the timer source for multiplexing to something
> else which is not affected by tickless. You cannot simply disable
> tickless during a measurement because you would not be measuring
> the system as it actually behaves.

There is only a very small difference between inhibiting nohz and
waking up the machine using timers on the same interval.

Using the scheduler tick to round-robin counters is a first-level
approximation we use: it in essence corresponds to multiplexing
counters along a cycle cost metric. If there's sufficient interest
we can drive the round-robining by the PMU itself: this makes it HZ
and dynticks invariant.

The simplified multiplexing we offer now certainly works well enough
in practice - if there's interest we can expand it.

  Last update: 2009-06-22 13:53    [W:0.900 / U:0.032 seconds]