    SubjectRe: [RFC] Documentation: add documentation for rc-series and merge window

    > >> +2.0.2: RC-SERIES RULES
    > >> +
    > >> +Rules on what kind of patches are accepted after the merge window closes.
    > >> +These are patches targeted for the kernel rc-series of a kernel prior
    > >> +to its release.
    > >> +
    > >> + - it must fix a reported regression
    > >> + - it must fix a reported security hole
    > >> + - it must fix a reported oops/kernel hang
    > >
    > > - it must fix a bug.
    >
    > Well that's for certain, but there is a difference between a general
    > notion of a bug and the type of bug fixes that should go in during the
    > rc-series. This documentation patch highlights the difference.

    Yes, and I'm trying to tell you that this documentation patch is
    wrong.

    Non-intrusive bugfixes _are_ welcome after -rc1.

    > > I do not think the 'reported' requirement is there in -rc,
    >
    > Well if its not reported how else would you find out about it during
    > the rc-series? And if its something easily triggerable that should
    > have been fixed earlier, not late in the rc-series.

    'reported' means 'someone is hitting that bug' in that context. If you
    do code inspection on drivers/foo/bar.c and find that it will hang on
    may 13, 2017; then that's a bug but not "reported" one -- users are
    not hitting it. Such bug may be uninteresting for -stable, but would
    probably be ok for -rc.

    > > and yes,
    > > compile-fixes etc are welcome.
    >
    > Sure, but what are these doing so late in the rc-series?

    Bugs happen :-).

    > > Non-intrusive bugfixes too, afaict.
    >
    > It really depends on what you mean but generally no, and this is why I
    > think this clarification is important.

    I believe you are wrong.
    Pavel

      Last update: 2009-06-20 00:23    [W:4.488 / U:0.228 seconds]