    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL v2] Early SLAB fixes for 2.6.31
    On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 07:31:38AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
    > On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 13:23 +0200, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > > > I think the main problem isn't necessarily init code per se, but the
    > > > pile of -common- code that can be called both at init time and
    > > later.
    > >
    > > Just seems bogus argument. Everwhere else that does this (ie.
    > > allocations that are called from multiple allocation contexts)
    > > passes correct gfp flags down.
    >
    > So you say we should create new variants of all these APIs that take gfp
    > flags as arguments just because they might be called early during boot :

    No, just create the ones that actually are called in early boot.

    > - All the vmalloc interfaces (__get_vm_area() and it's 5 or 6 variants)
    > - Allocation of PCI host bridges data structures in the powerpc code
    > - Allocation of interrupt controller domains in the powerpc code
    > - Page table allocations (oops ... can't change that arch specific,
    > would have to be a generic change)

    No it would not. If an arch (eg s390) does this in early boot, then
    it can create its own allocation function which takes a gfp mask, and
    define the generic one to just pass it a GFP_KERNEL. generic code does
    not call this in early boot of course.

    > - ioremap (which call both __get_vm_area() and page table allocs)
    > - ...
    >
    > Are you just insane ? :-)

    I think so, but that's besides the point ;)

      Last update: 2009-06-16 06:49    [W:0.021 / U:155.556 seconds]