SubjectRe: [tip:perfcounters/core] perf_counter: x86: Fix call-chain support to use NMI-safe methods
* Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu) wrote:

> * H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:

> > > Then how about just writing to the cr2 register *if* it has changed
> > > while the NMI handler was running ?
> > >
> > > if (unlikely(read_cr2() != saved_cr2)))
> > > write_cr2(saved_cr2)
> > >
> > > Mathieu
> > >

> > That works fine, obviously, and although it's probably overkill
> > it's also a trivially cheap optimization.
>
> Writing cr2 costs 84 cycles so it's not overkill at all - it's a
> nice optimization!
>
> Btw., we dont have to re-read it - we actually _know_ when we got a
> fault (the fault handler gives us back an error code).

Just for the sake of making NMI handlers less tricky, supporting page
faults caused by faulting kernel instructions (rather than only
supporting explicit faulting from get_user_pages_inatomic) would be
rather nice design-wise if it only costs 2-3 cycles.

And I would not want to touch the page fault handler itself to write the
saved cr2 value before the handler exits, because this would add a
branch on a very hot path.

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers

  Last update: 2009-06-15 23:15    [W:0.030 / U:0.400 seconds]