    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL v2] Early SLAB fixes for 2.6.31
    On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 11:41 +0200, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > > Btw, you should not need to use GFP_NOWAIT anymore and GFP_KERNEL
    > > should be fine even during early boot.
    > Is this the agreed way forward?

    > I would like to maybe continue to
    > try having early allocations pass in special flags where possible
    > (it could even be a GFP_BOOT or something). It can make it easier
    > to perhaps reduce branches in core code in future and things can
    > be flagged in warnings....

    The whole point of the exercise in removing the need for alloc_bootmem
    in a whole bunch of code is defeated if you now also want specific flags
    passed. I think we can cope reasonably easily.

    > I just like the idea of keeping such annotations.

    I think the boot order is too likely to change to make it a sane thing
    to have all call sites "know" at what point they are in the boot
    process. In your example, what does GFP_BOOT would mean ? Before
    scheduler is initialized ? before interrupts are on ?

    There's just too much stuff involved and we don't want random
    allocations in various subsystem or arch code to be done with that
    special knowledge of where specifically in that process they are done.
    Especially since it may change.

    Additionally, I believe the flag test/masking can be moved easily enough
    out of the fast path... slub shouldn't need it there afaik and if it's
    pushed down into the allocation of new slab's then it shouldn't be a big

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-06-15 11:55    [W:0.028 / U:12.388 seconds]