    SubjectRe: perf_counters: page fault trace record
    Paul Mackerras wrote:
    > Corey Ashford writes:
    >> One of the tools we are working on needs to be able to look not only at counts
    >> of page faults, but where they are occurring (ip and faulting page address).
    >> What would you think about adding a new bit to the config record, something like:
    > Can't you do what you need just using a page fault software counter
    > with sample_type = PERF_SAMPLE_IP | PERF_SAMPLE_ADDR and
    > sample_period = 1?

    I thought about that, but I was under the (incorrect?) impression that
    on Power, the PERF_SAMPLE_ADDR would be set by the value of the SDAR
    register, which wouldn't be correct for the case of a page fault.

    I need to go look at the kernel code :)

    - Corey

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-06-13 10:47    [W:0.023 / U:8.904 seconds]