    SubjectRe: perf_counters: page fault trace record

    * Paul Mackerras <> wrote:

    > Corey Ashford writes:
    > > One of the tools we are working on needs to be able to look not only at counts
    > > of page faults, but where they are occurring (ip and faulting page address).
    > >
    > > What would you think about adding a new bit to the config record, something like:
    > Can't you do what you need just using a page fault software
    > counter with sample_type = PERF_SAMPLE_IP | PERF_SAMPLE_ADDR and
    > sample_period = 1?

    Yes, we should use a generic 'data address' field. A whole lot of
    interesting events can live with that - only full-blown generic
    tracepoints have more complex sample record formats.

    Also, if this feature is added to pagefaults, please also add
    support for it into tools/perf/, so that it gets tested/used.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-06-13 09:07    [W:0.024 / U:26.604 seconds]